Events for Young People
Performance Opportunity for young people in South Yorkshire
Crossing Borders: South Yorkshire Dance Platform
South Yorkshire Dance Hub and Point Blank are holding a performance platform that will take place on Saturday 15th February 2014 at Rotherham College of Arts and Technology.
We are looking for youth dance groups of 11 -18 years and emerging and professional artists to submit dance pieces or performance work to the event. These can be complete works, extracts or works in progress and should be no longer than 15 minutes in length. A professional panel will then select groups and artists to perform at the platform.
Criteria for Youth Groups:
The panel will using the following criteria to select which groups will be performing at Crossing Borders:
• Choreography: All dance styles and genres are welcome; our panel will be looking for pieces that have elements of originality and interesting movement material.
• Performance: Our panel will be looking for pieces that demonstrate a good understanding of the theme, dance style or subject explored. This includes creativity, use of focus and clarity of intention from the dancers.
• Technique: Good application of dance style, energy, dynamics and quality must be demonstrated throughout the piece.
Criteria for Professional/Emerging Artists:
The panel will using the following criteria to select Artists who will be performing at Crossing Borders:
• Choreography: Our panel will be looking for work that contains originality, interesting movement material, artistic quality, exciting use of body/bodies in space and use of the performance space.
• Performance: Our panel will be looking for work that demonstrate a sound understanding from the dancers of the theme or subject, particularly through the application of high quality performance. This includes creativity, use of focus and intention through the dancers’ movement and relationship with each other and the audience.
• Technique: Excellent application of dance style, control and articulation of the body, together with qualitative execution of dynamics and intent must be demonstrated throughout the piece.
• Staging: When you apply please indicate how the piece could be staged, including ideas of; costume, music, lighting, props,etc. (even if your not sure at this stage, go on, give it a go and expand the possibilities)
If you or your group would like to perform at Crossing Borders Platform please fill out the application form complete with a video link to your or your groups work. This can be done using a mobile phone and can be easily uploaded using either vimeo or youtube. Professional artists we encourage you to submit a short film reel of your work.
Please return your submission together with a video link to the SYDH team by
MONDAY 16th DECEMBER to email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE: Group leaders please ensure you and your group have the appropriate performance or chaperone licences before applying for this event. If you have more than 10 children or young adults in your group please ensure you have additional chaperones to cater for larger groups (1 adult per 10 children) Please also ensure each child/young adult has image consent before uploading any video submission to the SYDH team.